Today, I finally got a chance to make the pineapple upside down cake. I found the recipe on Epicurious a while ago. The smell of this cake (Cardamom+ Rum) is so intoxicatingly beautiful, you want to eat it right out of the oven! And it’s one of those cakes that’s delicious served warm with a scoop of icecream!
I’m TRYING to eat healthy, so I skipped the icecream and had it with fresh pineapple slices and cherries.
One thing, the recipe says to make it in a skillet which is much easier than making it in a cake pan that I did. The cake has a very liquid sauce (butter and brown sugar) at the bottom, so if you put in a cake pan, the sauce drips out and makes a mess in the oven. So, just follow the recipe & it should be fine.
I’ve put the step-by-step pictures below. You can find the detailed recipe here.
1. Melt the butter:
2. Once butter is melted, add brown sugar and keep stirring for about 4 minutes:
3. Cut a baking paper to the shape of the cake pan. I did this so that the pineapples don’t get stuck to the pan:
4. Add the sauce to the cake pan:
5.Arrange the pineapple slices in the pan:
6.Sift the dry ingredients, except sugar:
7.Beat the butter and sugar:
8. Add eggs, vanilla and rum (one at a time, mixing after each addition):
9.Add half of sifted dry ingredients,mix, and then add pineapple juice:
10. Add the rest of dry ingredients & mix:
11. Pour in the cake pan and bake in oven at 180C for 45 minutes until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean:
12. Let the cake stand for 5 minutes. Then, flip it on a dish and sprinkle with rum:
13. Serve with fresh fruits or icecream, YUM!
ENJOY!! 😉 ~~
NOTE 1: Next time that I make it, I’ll use a 20cm instead of 24cm cake pan/skillet so that the cake will be thicker.